Thursday, January 11, 2007

Morning Observations

At 5 a.m. this morning it was 16 degrees F. How do I know this? I was in my car driving to my workout. I looked down at the digital display and thought, "I can't believe I managed to drag my butt out into this freezing weather to go exercise!" That's one of the good things about doing my workout so early in the morning-- I'm too dopey and half asleep to rationalize and make excuses not to do it; I just go through the motions and by the time I'm fully awake, I'm already exercising.

Later, after my shower, I was applying my antiperspirant in front of the sink and out of the corner of my eye I saw something weird. I raised my arm over my head and -- there!-- woah, were those rib bones in my upper chest? I haven't reached the skeletal Kelly R1pa ribcage that you could use as a xylophone, nor do I plan to. It's just nice to see the hint of bone instead of all the fat.

Not long after that, as I was getting Mabel ready for school, I caught another strange sighting out of the corner of my eye. I was in the hallway and glanced over at the full-length mirror I recently installed in my bedroom. "Who the hell was that leggy person?" I pondered, and had to go into the room for a better look. It's funny; my legs haven't actually grown in length, but the more fat I chisel off of them, the longer they look. I took a good, hard look at my body from head to toe, and while the hips and thighs are still pretty large, overall I was pretty satisfied with the way I'm looking.

Not a bad way to start the day, right?

3 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

I got a late start reading the blogs this morning, and you are the second blog I have read where you like what you see in the mirror. Sweet! I hope it is catching.

Lori G. said...

That's really cool that you saw all of these good things about yourself. You really should be proud of yourself.

It is a good way to start the day!

Anne M. said...

I'm so impressed with you! You can do the "get up in the morning and exercise" thing and also look in the mirror and actually see yourself. Both are good signs that you are taking care of and honoring yourself. Way to go! You get a sticker :)