Monday, January 22, 2007

In Recovery

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the blog!

Mabel's doing great. She was requesting P0psicles in the recovery room, and by that evening she was ordering turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy for supper and ate most of it. She didn't stop there -- she ate most of the rice that came with my dinner, along with various amounts of pudding, gelatin and frozen novelties.

Now granted, she was weepy as she came out of the anesthetic, and she does complain of a sore throat from time to time, but other than that she's doing remarkably well. In fact, the hardest part is holding her down! She's supposed to be resting and taking it easy for two weeks -- no exercise, which means no gymnastics, no P.E. class, no outside recess. You might as well tell her not to breathe. I'm constantly barking at her to not run, not jump, and I even caught her cleaning her room!

I was getting ready to say I wish I was like that, but the truth is, I am getting more like her. On Sunday I spent the first half of the day being a lazy lump; sitting around, reading a book or watching movies. By 2 p.m. I couldn't take it anymore and went to the kitchen, where I quickly proceeded to wash the dishes, sweep and mop the floor, in addition to doing two loads of laundry. When Hubby came through to get a drink I said I told him I had to get up and do something because I could literally feel my brain and body dissolving into mush.

A few years ago this would not have happened. I was quite content to sit on the couch all day watching TV or reading books. Exerting as little energy as possible was a goal to attain as a means of "treating" myself. Now I can't bear it. The more I sit the more sluggish I get, and the more I start thinking about what I can eat as I sit there turning into a root vegetable.

That's not to say my eating was stellar this weekend. Nor was it an utter failure. I guess I'd give myself a C -- I made the effort each day to try to eat healthy, but each day I also slipped up some. But I did very little damage scale-wise, and I'm back to the good old routine today.

Except I didn't go work out this morning. My vehicle was parked in by Hubby's big SUV, it was cold and snowy and nasty outside, and to top it off my monthly visitor arrived a few days early and had me crampy and miserable (I'm not sure if it's because of stress, my medicines changing, my screwed up sleep patterns over the weekend or all three). But this afternoon I tried to redeem myself by trying out the P1lates 20 minute workout tape. Again, there were things I could do, things I went "how the #@*! am I supposed to do that?!?" to, and things I know I can get the swing of eventually. I can definitely feel the effects of it in my abdomen, glutes and thighs, which is a good thing.

Well, my little sweetheart is leaning over my shoulder telling me in her new M1ckey M0use voice that her throat is sore, so I better go give her the next dose of medicine.


Vickie said...

I am so glad that things went well.

My middle child was born with a weird mole on her back - the doctor literally caught her - said "she's a girl" and then - we're going to have to get this taken care of. They watched it until she was 4 - and then took it off 2 weeks before chirstmas. It was right where her underwear and spine met - I had to keep her - THIS IS MY WILD CHILD - down for 4 weeks. She was not supposed to even bend over - did I mention she was 4 - and WILD? Long - long four weeks.

it is amazing how the exercise thing kicks in - isn't it? There are many, many days now that I never stop moving. I used to walk by something on the floor for DAYS and WEEKS - without even bending to pick it up - and could have layed in bed and watched TV for days - without moving (except to get up for food or pee . . .)

Lori said...

I'm so glad Mabel is doing well. Maybe I should go in and see if a fake tonsillectomy would make ME move around that much!

I think it's really good that you are moving around more and more importantly, you're noticing it.

I hope you're enjoying that P!l@tes tape; I'm really thinking about going to and looking at the exercise DVDs for when we get another taste of winter.

Grumpy Chair said...

So happy to hear your daughter is feeling great (other than sore throat).

I hear you on the lazy lump, melding into the sofa thing. I too, have found that I quit watching TV during the day (except the View) this wasn't a conscious decision . . . it just seemed to happen as I got more physically active.