Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday Part Two

I did not mention that I've been quoted again on Angry Fat Girlz! Two times in one month; I'm really amazed that someone out there (thanks, by the way), sees my over-analyzed navel gazing as something worth sharing. But it's great that people identify and relate to what I have to say. So often in my life I've felt alone: both when I was super obese and now that I'm a "super loser."

Lori asked a question to Sunday's post that I never got to answer but has been sticking with me. She asked, "If someone else had a similar meal or dessert, would that have made you feel better or less alone?"

And you know, the more I thought about it, the more I agreed that yes, I wouldn't have felt so James Dean about it all (i.e., the lone rebel) if at least one other person had gone the healthier route with me. I talked to my friend L about it this morning. She was in our gang Saturday night and said she could tell I was getting a little frustrated by all the unhealthy eating going on while I was trying to do the right thing. Of course, that didn't stop her from doing it, but let's face it, it's not her job to make me feel good all the time. We're all adults, we all make choices, and in the end we all had a fun evening out.

She and her husband (my brother-in-law) considered Saturday night their splurge night and went back to their healthier diets on Sunday. They have been on a mission to eat healthier for several months now, when BIL's cholesterol was getting so high the doctor was considering medication (and he's only 36). Since they have made adjustments to their eating habits -- more broiled and baked lean meats instead of fatty, fried ones, lots of whole grains and a regimen of garlic supplements for BIL -- he has knocked his cholesterol down 30 points, lost a few pounds, and the doctor has said forget the meds.

This is my Hubby's brother, and I really wish some sibling rivalry would rub off here. Hubby's cholesterol is in the borderline zone, although it did drop a few points once he started cooking healthier suppers for me. But it's still not where it really should be, and with both his parents' history of heart problems (MIL had bypass surgery after a heart attack; FIL is 100% dependent on a pacemaker), and inheriting their apple shapes, the odds are good he'll run the risk of heart disease, too. My biggest fear is getting a phone call from the school where he works, telling me he collapsed and was taken to the hospital. I hope the call never comes, but I still worry.

Mentioning all this medical stuff, let me finally get to my doctor's visit. First thing was the scale, and I have to say I was a little dismayed to hear my height was 5 ft. 5 3/4 in. -- I've always been 5 ft. 6 in., so either I was slouching, or I'm shrinking. More calcium! Now!

The good news was my weight was 210 on their scale, which is at least a pound less than the last time I was there a month to six weeks ago. So I got to breathe a sigh of relief there.

The funniest/best part was when the doctor came in and immediately shook my hand, saying, "Good for you." I must have looked at him quizzically, because he added, "For the weight loss."

"Well, I keep trying," I replied.

"And it's working," he stated. "Most people are losing the battle, but not you."

Encouraging words after the last few weeks. The rest of the exam went fine and other than wanting more blood work in six months (keeping track of my thyroid levels, as well as checking my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.), I was good to go. Who knows, I may get over my fear and loathing of doctors after all!

4 comments:

Lori G. said...

Your doctor is so good to point out your success. You have to remember that our definition of success sometimes gets in the way of reality and the reality is that we are successful.

No one likes to stick out in the crowd. I know you all are enjoying each other's company but the food does play a part in the social scene. It's amazing how much food is involved with festivities, etc. isn't it?

Congratulations on the doctor visits and keep up the good work.

Helen said...

I'm shrinking too...at least according to MY last visit to my doc. I've heard it's that the discs in your spine get thinner as you age, but I'm not sure. I know for sure that my mom (at 77) is WAY shorter than she used to be. I always wanted to be shorter so I guess I'm getting my wish! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm told you lose a quarter of an inch in height for every decade after forty. Exercise that strengthens your back helps counteract that.

Deirdre

Vashta Narada said...

I just had a thought: maybe my neck surgery in August might have something to do with my height change, too. They took out my disc and vertebra and replaced it with donor tissue and the metal clamp. Perhaps that accounts for the 1/4 inch difference. That and aging. (Shudder)