Friday, December 08, 2006

Digging Myself Out

Well, we didn't get as much snow as the weatherman predicted, but we still got enough to shovel. Which is what I did this afternoon.

Shoveling snow is similar to mowing grass -- while I don't look forward to doing it, there's a sense of accomplishment when you stop and look at the work you've done. Plus, it's extra physical activity, which is an added benefit. These kind of tasks often work muscles you don't use regularly, and today I could feel it in my obliques and lower back as I cleared my sidewalks. If the snow keeps up, which the Farmer's Almanac is predicting, I could get myself even more toned by spring!

There's also something to be said to getting some physical activity in the afternoons. That tends to be my "slump" time and I get tired and lazy. It's hard for me to get the motivation to exercise that time of day, but maybe I can start incorporating snow shoveling. If it's getting some house maintenance done while I'm exercising, maybe I'll be more prone to do it. I do love to multitask.

Another Friday has arrived, which means another Weekend Game Plan. I know these haven't been hugely successful so far, but I've at least made attempts, and I think a few things are starting to work. It's better than making no plan at all, right?

Hubby just called from the Pennsylvania Turnpike, telling me when he gets home in 45 minutes we might go out to eat. I guess I should have had a meal made for when he came home, but this morning when he left he wasn't sure if he'd even be home for supper. I was just going to do something very simple for myself and Mabel -- a little soup, maybe a sandwich -- but Hubby is from the old school of "meat and potatoes," a formal sit-down supper. So I'll have to hop through this little obstacle course to find a healthy meal.

The weekend isn't too dangerous -- yet. Hubby's got his last day of deer season tomorrow, so he'll be hunting all day. Mabel's got acrobatics at 11, so I thought the two of us would go shopping after that and get any last minute gifts we haven't bought yet. Supper's a crap shoot, so it's up to me to make it a healthy one. Sunday has no major events, which probably means the in-laws will want to go out for lunch. Again. Sigh... I escaped this last Sunday, so I doubt I'll be able to find some excuses to opt out this weekend. Of course, I did terribly last Sunday night, so maybe I'd be better off if I was around others so I wouldn't feel like overeating.

My goal is to avoid any binges this weekend. I plan to exercise at least Saturday, possibly Sunday, too. I plan to eat healthy breakfasts and make the best choices I can for lunches and dinner. Fortunately I don't have any "danger" foods in the house right now, so I think with a little forethought and determination I can get to Monday without any major derailments.

Not very positive about the weigh-in tomorrow. The unofficial scale readings this week have been pretty stagnant, so I'm not anticipating a big loss. However, I'm not expecting a gain, either, so I'll take what I can get.

No comments: