Friday, October 13, 2006

Week Two Weigh In -- Deja vu all over again

After forcing myself not to weigh, I got on this morning hopeful and anxious. The scale read 225.5, a three pound loss from last Friday. Not bad. In fact, it's great. But why am I so unenthused about it?

Maybe because I've been at 225 so many times this year. It's been my so-called maintenance weight (which means I've been hovering above, below and around it for 10 months), and maybe I'm just tired of seeing it show up once again.

And maybe the scale highs I talked about in yesterday's post aren't as great as they used to be. Okay, so I lost three pounds. Do I get a medal? A pat on the back? Perhaps a listing on the Dieters Hall of Fame?

I guess I'm feeling let down because after two weeks of blummin' hard slog (I've been watching a lot of Britcoms lately, and it rubs off), what have I got to show for it? The number I've been chained to throughout 2006.

I suppose that's part of the reason I started this blog; I so want these 220s to be a thing of the past. I want to put a huge burst of effort into this the next few months and start 2007 in the Onederfuls, or at least as close to them as I can get by Dec. 31.

I know, it seems crazy to do this to myself at the "worst" time of year: the trifecta of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I did it last year: 50 pounds from September to December. Somehow I managed to maneuver around the holidays and succeed when most people wouldn't even attempt it. Why not 26 more pounds from mid-October to December? That's less than 2.5 (2.3 something) pounds a week for 11 weeks. And if I only lose 2 pounds a week? Then I'd be at 203.5. One pound? 214.5 pounds.

Forget Friday the 13th, just get me away from this 225!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I have found it helpful to think in 10 pound increments - not to look at the bigger picture.

Also, things do change as you "go down" the scale - how you lost weight a year ago - may or may not be how you loose now. You are a year older - hormones, your current lower body weight, etc are all a year different too.

This is so that you have realistic expectations - not to depress you.

I try to look at my "over all plan" about once a quarter -

sleep

water

food plan
(I strongly suggest that you log it if you are not already - not forever - just for a week or so to see if you are doing what you THINK you are doing)

exercise
(log it also - are you doing what you think you are doing? mixing it up? getting cardio, weight resistance and tone?)

stress

I am sure I am forgetting something - but you get the picture - when you get "stuck" - do a little "check up" on yourself - are you doing what you need to?

I find for myself that I have to relook to see if I am doing what I THINK I am doing - habits are easy to fall in and out of as you well know.

Lori G. said...

Andrea,

You wrote a very profound post that really is true not just for you, but for me and a lot of women. What value do we give ourselves at 230 vs. 220? And why are we so hard on ourselves?

I think you can lose weight during this crazy period; I've met people at WW who did really well. They had a plan and stuck to it.

I can't write too long; it's been insane and now I'm babysitting.