Sunday, October 08, 2006

Super Bowl Sunday

As in bowl of ice cream! Yes, it was the big birthday celebration for my daughter, who turns 8 on Tuesday. We had a gaggle of giggling girls running around the house, shrieking and laughing and having a great time. I found it interesting that when it came time to serve the cake and ice cream, they all had their quirky requests: cake only, ice cream only, and one girl who wouldn't eat either! One only ate the icing, while the other one ate the cake and left the icing behind. And half of them took two bites off their plate and went rushing back to play with each other.

I managed to get away with a small piece of cake and small scoop of ice cream, but we still have a lot of cake left, and it's calling my name as we speak. We'll see if I can resist.

Shortly we are leaving for Mabel's (I'm tired of saying "my daughter" all the time, so I'm giving her a pseudonym) birthday dinner with the family. It was originally going to be on Tuesday night, but her cousin is in a junior high football game that afternoon which would have made it hard for the grandparents to juggle. But the real reason I rearranged it was so I could have all the celebratory eating done in one day, rather than stretched out over three. That way, I can have my cake and eat at the Chinese buffet, too!

I might sound like I'm rationalizing here, and I probably am. But for me, the reality is that these food-related events are always going to happen, and they're so hard to resist. If I can manage to keep the damage down to one day instead of two or three (or 20 or 30), that's progress, right?

Yesterday I did go to the health club where my daughter takes Acrobatics and signed up for their punch card deal. You get 10 visits for $35, instead of the $25 monthly fee. I only get to this health club once a week for Mabel's practice, so the monthly membership wasn't worth it for me. But this was great. While she did her back handsprings and cartwheels, I did 45 minutes on the treadmill and the upper body weight machines I did at physical therapy.

I must take a moment here to thank everyone who has posted comments on this blog. I was really pleased some of my Angry Fat Girlz companions have dropped in to say hello, and it was an honor to have Jonathan and the Shrinking Knitter reply to my earlier post. I read their blogs every day and get a lot of inspiration and ideas from them, as well as the occasional chuckle. It amazes me that anyone would be interested in the ruminations of my overactive mind!

Almost time to go for dinner. I can't really mark this day as a huge success as far as losing weight, but I can say it's been planned for. That's what "normal" people do, right? They have the occasional day where they indulge, but it doesn't propel them into a month of eating a tub of ice cream a day. They make up for it the next few days and go on with their regular habits. At least that's what I've heard about this elusive tribe called "normal." Enjoy your Sunday nights, everyone.

P.S. The last three days or so I haven't been able to upload any photos onto my blog, either at my home computer or the one at work. Anyone else having this trouble, or am I just doing something wrong?

No comments: