Friday, July 27, 2007

Stupified by Potter

I meant to write a nice big post today about my seminar yesterday and how what I learned not only related to my job, but to my personal life, too.

But Hubby bought the 7th and final Harry Potter book, and I couldn't pry myself away from it until it was done. I was so wrapped up in it that I didn't do my housework; I forgot to do something I had told someone I would do (and I'll probably get in trouble for it, too!); and I was darn near rude to my mother in my distracted responses when she called me in the middle of it.

While part of me feels like an irresponsible layabout for all of that, isn't it wonderful when a book can do that to you? The rest of the world fades way and you're so swept up in the action your eyes are racing across the pages. I haven't felt so absorbed and involved in a book for a long, long time.

Now that the series is done I feel a sense of sadness; J.K. Rowling's wizarding world became so real, the characters so alive, that it's hard to see it come to an end. But like the other great works of fiction, these volumes will live on for my daughter, her children, and so on down the generations.

As a some-time writer, I admire Rowling's ability to make this story so universally loved by people of all ages. It's a feat I only dream of attaining. As for today, I'm unfortunately short on words because my other beloved British fictional character, Doctor Who, will be on the telly in about 20 minutes. I'll get back to business tomorrow, I swear!

1 comment:

Grumpy Chair said...

I bought the book on Monday afternoon. Fang Jr. and I were reading it out loud, taking turns. That stopped when his little buddy came over and immediately started to tell us the ending. I asked him not to and the kid looked hurt. Fang Jr. wanted to know how it ended so he let his friend tell him. I begged my son not to let his friend ruin it for him . . . 10 year olds!

So I am happily ensconced in it by myself.

When I was pregnant, both times, I loved reading - craved it infact, and could read non-stop until the book was finished, but I guess I am trying to make this book last a long, long time. I'm still reading it and have a long way to go.