Monday, December 31, 2007

The End of the Year


Holy Cow, it's been so long since I blogged that I forgot my password to Blogger! That is a bad, bad sign!

I can't believe it's been almost a MONTH since I wrote here. The month of December went by so fast, with so many holiday preparations at home and at work, that I hardly had time to do anything "fun" -- reading, needlework, etc. And let's face it, I basically "gave up" when it came to food and exercise. Not admirable, but I'm not going to deny it, either.

In a way I'm glad 2007 is almost over. This has been an incredibly tough year for me. While there was no single thing that stands out as a tragedy or a terrible experience, something inside of me seemed to have waved the white flag of surrender and ... not died, but went into a deep hibernation.

The majority of this year I've dealt with low to mid-levels of depression, with a small period of anxiety attacks thrown in for good measure. I'm still trying to sort out how much was physical/chemical/hormonal and how much was psychological/emotional issues. I know both were involved, and it was a lethal combination that has wreaked near-total devastation on my food and weight issues. I've gained back a LOT of weight, way more than I'm willing to admit here in print, although in January I've got a doctor's appointment that will not be a pleasant experience. However, I'm hoping at this appointment to rectify some mistakes I've made with my medications as far as my PCOS is concerned. I'm convinced switching medications at the beginning of last year had a lot to do with my weight gain, lack of energy, mood swings, etc., and I'm going to get on my knees and beg if necessary to go back to what was working before.

I'm not saying it was all biological. I know I got mentally burned out on the dieting, which evolved into a vicious cycle of restricting and binge eating. I thought I was getting a good handle on Intuitive Eating and Conscious Living, but my depression kept getting in the way. I know I still have a lot of issues to work through, the core reasons behind my disordered, emotional eating, and at my last therapy session I asked Dr. K. to begin helping me go through Karen Koenig's "Food and Feelings Workbook." I think having someone to answer to and a deadline to complete the chapters will help me to quit procrastinating and do the work that needs to be done.

I realize now that the last couple months I've been dragged down by huge amounts of negativity and pessimism. I find myself resentful, grumbling and angry way too much. It's been so hard for me to look for the positives in anything, and it's sure hard to feel good about myself when I can't seem to find the good in anything.

I know it's incredibly cliche to jump on the New Year's Resolution bandwagon, but I find myself looking at the new calendar and wanting to make a fresh start. Part of me is scared, because traditionally the January through March period is usually my most depressed part of the year, and I can't bear to think of feeling worse than I do right now. I already feel like I'm scraping bottom, and if I get any lower I'll be underground. It seems like I have no where else to go now but up.

On that note, I have decided to let go of this "Onederful Bound" title and start a new blog. I need to reassess my goals and aspirations, and at this point I can't make it a number on a scale. This is NOT a farewell; I need to write and express my feelings now more than ever. But looking at that title reminds me too much of my self-perceived failure in this one aspect of my life. I think a starting fresh on a new, blank slate may help to let go of the negativity that has taken hold of me.

Don't worry, I will link the new site to this one so anyone who still wants to (those of you who are still checking in on me, my apologies again for my long absence) can find me.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc., and will be able to celebrate the new year. We're having a party at my house tonight, and I'm hoping to paste on a happy face and enjoy myself.

I promise, I will be back.

5 comments:

Lori G. said...

No, I really do understand. I think the Intuitive Eating is a good thing but if you're not in a good place, it's probably ten times harder to do. (Of course, it leads to the Chicken and the Egg scenario -- which comes first? IE or being in a good place?)

You're still here, you're still trying and you haven't given up. That's very important. You're willing to go and face up to the past and look for a solution to the present and the future. That's incredibly admirable, Andrea. If you don't start now, January through March is going to be so much harder -- you need all the tools you can find to help you. I had/have a slump myself. The holidays don't help in the sense of your schedule being totally out of whack (and as a mother, it has to be totally out of whack for you!). Holidays bring up family issues, even the ones resolved because there's so much emphasis on the perfect holiday season.

I'm glad you're back and we're here for you. Be good to yourself.

Bea said...

I can't do the IE. I want to, and my mind says it should work, but it seems to be a non-starter for me. The addiction model fits me. I have to choose daily to give my food plan to God, and not eat any of my trigger food. Maybe someday when I am stronger...

I too have gained. Scares the pea-wadding out of me. I got burned out on my food plan and couldn't stick to it.

In looking back I see some of my problem. I was bored with my food. Nothing new, and more importantly, nothing new to look forward to. Same old blah stuff day in and day out. I am not a creative cook.

Okay, I guess I can choose to be more creative. I so choose.

Please do not leave us...me. You have been a great inspiration for me. Your struggles help me more than your successes. As lori says,"You're still here." Not giving up is all.

Please link to new site. Take care. Love Bea

Sarah said...

Nice to have you back blogging. Let us know where you're moving to and look fwd to reading your exciting new blog. Happy new year. Sarah. x

Grumpy Chair said...

I hope 2008 is better for you Andrea. I know you have had a hard last few months.

Hang in there.

Vickie said...

All the ladies who wrote before me - said it very well - ditto what they all said. Hugs too.